Studies have shown that by eating slowly will help you lose weight. In fact, you can lose 50 pounds over a year if you consistently do this. Plus, it is more pleasurable too when you take your time to enjoy your food.
By eating slowly, your stomach will have time to send a signal to your brain that you are already full. This usually takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to signal the brain. Then, your brain would tell your body that you are full and by that time you should no longer have the appetite to eat more.
However, if you eat really fast, you will just be filling yourself up with food before your brain would tell your body ‘that’s enough’. For example, you devour all your food in just 5 to 8 minutes. The brain would continue to tell you that you are still hungry and you should eat more so you would go ahead and go for 2nds or 3rds.
The bad news is all those extra calories won’t get burned by your body and would be stored as fat. Think about it for just a minute, by chewing your food slowly (say 50 times per bite) you won’t be going back for 2nds and definitely not 3rds.
But think what will happen when you slow down your eating and combine it with cutting down on extra 100 calories out of each meal you eat. By cutting those extra calories you will really kick your weight loss off with a bang. The following is a list of 29 ways and healthy foods you can use to blast those 100 calories out the door.
- Substitute 1 tablespoon of all fruit jam on your toast in lieu of 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter.
- Replace 1 cup of whole milk with 1/2 a cup of skim milk.
- Substitute 2 poached eggs for 2 fried eggs.
- Eat 2 cups of Cheerios instead of 1/2 cup of granola
- Use nonfat milk and egg whites to make French Toast instead of whole milk and eggs.
- Eat both an orange and a banana instead of a Snicker’s bar.
- Have 35 pretzel sticks instead of 1 ounce of dry roasted peanuts.
- Replace 1 cup of sweetened apple sauce with 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce. Use an artificial sweetener like Splenda if you notice a difference in taste.
- If you make Lamb and Vegetable kabobs, replace 2 of the chunks of meat with vegetables.
- Use 1 tablespoon of low fat mayonnaise rather than 1 1/2 tablespoons of regular
- Don’t drink that glass of white wine. Opt for cherry flavored sparkling water instead.
- Skip the cheese on your burger or sandwich.
- Have a half cup of dried fruit instead of 9 caramel candies.
- Instead of 3 slices of bacon, have 3 slices of Lite and Lean Canadian bacon.
- Order one size down at Starbucks.
- Choose a Lender’s egg bagel instead of a Sara Lee egg bagel.
- Use 2 slices of Roman Light 7-grain bread instead of Pepperidge Farm wheat bread for your sandwiches.
- Serve 2 dinner rolls with your beef stew instead of 2 biscuits.
- Eat 1/2 cup of steamed fresh broccoli instead of 1/2 cup of frozen broccoli in cheese sauce.
- Make your burrito with 1/2 cup of fat-free re-fried beans and 1 ounce of nonfat cheese instead of the same amount of traditional re-fried beans and cheese.
- Make your sandwich open face.
- Chose a high-fiber English muffin instead of a full fat apple muffin.
- Cut your cake a little slimmer. Reducing a slice of cake by 1/3 will save you 100 calories.
- You can switch from 1 cup of whole milk hot chocolate to 1 cup of 1% milk without losing any taste when you add a dash of almond extract.
- Throw away 8 McDonald’s French Fries.
- Ditch the single cup of caramel coated popcorn and have 2 1/2 cups of air popped popcorn instead.
Don’t wait around to lose 50 pounds of weight. Cut 100 calories a meal out of your diet, by using all or some of the above ways to get a head start.